ROBERT A. STEWART
Robert A. Stewart concentrates his law practice in advising family and closely-owned businesses, estate planning, charitable giving, the administration of trusts and estates, probate litigation, federal estate and gift taxation, state inheritance taxation, income taxation of estates and trusts, and the income taxation of corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
Bob began his legal career in 1983 with the New Jersey law firm of Myers, Matteo, Rabil & Norcross where he was the principal author of that firmís tax opinions covering a number of transactions including oil and gas partnerships, research & development credits, along with the acquisition, dissolution, and merger of businesses.
He previously held a number of management positions in the financial services industry as well as being a co-founder of the law firm of Rabil, Kingett & Stewart based in New Jersey. Formerly with the law firm of Lamm Rubenstone, LLC, Mr. Stewart is now Of-Counsel to Subranni Zauber, LLC.
Bob is admitted to the bar in Pennsylvania and New Jersey; the United States District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania and the District of New Jersey.
Areas of Practice
He serves a wide range of clients in areas such as:
- Preparation of wills, revocable living trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, dynasty trusts, asset protection trusts, charitable trusts, powers of attorney and living wills
- Creation of family limited partnerships and limited liability companies and the implementation of other wealth transfer and preservation techniques
- Income tax planning for business owners including the use tax-qualified retirement plans
Preparation of buy-sell, employment, deferred compensation, and stock-bonus agreements
- Representation of estate executors and administrators
- Preparation and filing of all court documents for probate of a will and appointments of administrators
- Distribution of estate and trust assets to beneficiaries
- Use of disclaimers and other post-mortem tax planning devices
- Probate related litigation including will contests, undue influence, fiduciary accountings and audits
- Miscellaneous proceedings in the Probate and Surrogate’s Courts
Other Key Representative matters include:
- Obtained relief from penalties assessed against non-profit institution by IRS for failure to timely remit withholding taxes.
- Preserved the tax-deferred character of more than $2,000,000 in retirement plan assets for surviving spouse of deceased business owner defeating challenges from IRS and Dept. of Labor.
- Recovered over $100,000 for estate beneficiaries from agent who abused power of attorney.
- Successfully obtained state court approval to reform a decedent’s trust to maintain favorable income tax treatment for charitable beneficiaries.
- Defeated New Jersey Department of Revenue efforts to collect sales tax from purchaser of a commercial vessel successfully arguing vessel was engaged in inter-state commerce and therefore exempt under New Jersey law.
Honors and Awards
Awesome Attorney award 2015, 2016
His corporate clients include: Amidex Mutual Fund, Vineland Syrup, Inc., Evelyn Hill Cycling, and Atlas Flasher & Suppy, Inc. In addition, Bob has worked with a multitude of individuals and families with their estate planning needs.
Bob is a member of the Board of the Historic Gloria Dei Building Preservation Corporation. This organization is dedicated to the restoration and maintenance of the historic buildings and grounds of Gloria Dei (Olde Swedes’) Church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Bob is a graduate of St. Joseph’s University, Weidner University School of Law, Villanova University, and the Villanova School of Law (L.L.M. in Taxation)
Bob can be reached directly at [email protected]
To learn more about the diversity of our firm, click here to read our attorney profiles